The Kingdom of eSwatini
- eSwatini, formerly known as Swaziland, is bordered by Mozambique on the east side and South Africa on the other three sides.
- eSwatini has a population of 1.3 million.
- The population is primarily ethnic Swazis, whose language is siSwati.
- eSwatini’s climate and topography are diverse, ranging from a cool and mountainous highveld to a hot and dry lowveld.
- The country exports sugar and many Swazis work in South Africa and send their earnings home.
- eSwatini has the highest rate of HIV infection rate at 28%.
- 45% of the population is 18 or younger with a life expectancy of 49 years.
- 69% of the country is in extreme poverty. An average working Swati is supporting 13 others.
- 18% of the population is orphaned/vulnerable.